www.cosmeticmedicineforum.com  

Go Back   Cosmetic Medicine Forum | Botox Forum, Laser Forum, Juvederm Forum > Non-Invasive Cosmetic Medical Procredures > Laser Hair Removal Forum & other Light Technologies
User Name
Password

Old 14-09-2008, 06:36 AM

Default Isn't the Brazilian awfully - well painful?

I was reading through a load of the threads on brazilian laser hair removal.

It strikes me there is one significant problem. Isn't it really painful. I don't like the idea of anyone going down there with a big elastic band.

Gee let along the thought of someone going down there with a laser!

Isn't the pain really bad?
Old 14-09-2008, 12:54 PM

An elastic band as opposed to say ... boiling hot liquid wax been poured down there????

Give me the elastic band anyday!
Old 15-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Default Waxing is worse

Hey there

Speaking from experience, laser doesnt hurt that much, it beats waxing every 3 weeks!

I know everyones pain threshold is different but I found it to sting a little but be gone in less than a second!

I'd give it a 3 out of 10 for pain, 10 being the most painful thing you can think of!

If the therapist you go to is professional it will only take a few mintues to laser the whole area with minimal pain.

Hope that helps, good luck!

Caroline
Old 22-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

The Brazilian or private areas are often no more or less painful to treat than other areas.

Pain is highly variable and unpredictable but the Brazilian or male private areas seem to be no more susceptible to increased pain than any other area of the body.

The most reliable predictor of pain seems to be the density of hairs in the area being treated.

So the most painful areas to treat is typically around the neck where the hairs are almost as dense here as they are on your scalp.
Old 25-10-2008, 07:30 AM

Default Better than waxing

Much much better than the proverbial hot wax.

Surely thats all you need to know
Old 13-11-2008, 10:45 PM

thanks for the replies everyone.

Considering someone is using a laser down there is it risky for future pregnancies?
Old 16-12-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Hi Deedee,

There is neither clinical nor theoretical evidence that laser hair reduction lasers are a risk in pregnancy.

However, it is one of the unstated principles of medicine that unless absolutely necessary or unless we have a lot of long term evidence (many decades) we presume all medical procedures are dangerous in pregnancy until proven otherwise.

Since Laser Hair reduction is a purely cosmetic procedure no one will take the risk of doing it in pregnancy. Lets face it we aren't exactly saving lives by treating hirsuitism.

However, since a the wavelengths used (red light 600-1000nm) are visible, non-ionising wavelenths of electromagnetic radiation with very limited penetration it is hard to see how it could possible add to the risk of birth defects or cancer.

So whilst we don't do laser hair reduction during pregnancy because of general medical principles we have great confidence in saying the procedure will not affect future pregnancies.

Also please note that the area lasered during a brazilian type procedure is quite a long way away from the ovaries. In fact you would get closer to the ovaries whislt doing laser hair reduction on the lower abdomnal area
Old 11-02-2009, 05:19 PM

Thanks doctornev.

I guess that makes sense. Unless you are doing an internal laser hair reduction treatment (ala internal ultrasound) I guess you must be a long way away from the ovaries.

Thanks thats pretty much what my googling uncovered but its nice to get it confirmed

Still worred about the pain though!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:22 PM

I find IPl and Laser quite painful. I have a low pain threshold when it comes either. I had brazilian IPL hair removal today. I found it very painful as much as waxing. I would prefer IPL to waxing though as at least one day I wont have to worry about either hopefully.
Old 26-02-2010, 03:14 PM

DeeDee,

Regardless if it's waxing, electrolysis or laser hair removal on your brazilian area it's not going to feel very good. It's not your super sensitive area for nothing. But depending on where you go you can get prescribed medication and/or a topical to numb the area more. Just check around and ask on consults what kind of pain medications are available to you.

P.S. DON'T get drunk and go to laser hair removal treatment thinking it will help with the pain, this isn't like getting a tattoo!
www.youtube.com/laserelectaustin
www.facebook.com/cheryl.piquard