www.cosmeticmedicineforum.com  

Go Back   Cosmetic Medicine Forum | Botox Forum, Laser Forum, Juvederm Forum > Non-Invasive Cosmetic Medical Procredures > Laser Hair Removal Forum & other Light Technologies
User Name
Password

Old 07-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Default Which is better IPL or "True Lasers" for hair removal?

The title says it all. Can some of the brainy ones answer this question? I've asked 5 different people including day spas and doctors and got 5 different answers
Old 09-07-2008, 04:03 PM

I researched this in detail. The studies show lasers are better. They are both more specific and can generate much higher fluences (power). IPL is a simpler cheaper technology often used by day spas who also use the same system for photorejuventation, blood vessels et al
Old 11-07-2008, 05:02 PM

Can you point me in the direction of some of these studies amelia?

I was under the impression true lasers but I don't have an authoritative website to prove it (websites of doctors with laser and or IPLs don't count)
Old 11-07-2008, 05:03 PM

This has troubled me for some time too. What is the difference between safety approval and FDA approval?
Old 11-07-2008, 06:32 PM

OK this is not an authoritative website or scientific study. No its none other than the well respected, always trusted "dum dum dah" A Current Affair report.

Yes yes I know its the last word in journalistic integrity.

BUt a recent report showed that 80-90% of the lasers used in Australia are not FDA or TGA approved. A lot of the day spas tried to cover it up and.

Hey this is a good topic. I might start up a thread to see what people say about the difference between FDA, TGA and safety approval
Old 14-07-2008, 02:37 PM

IPL stands for Intense Pulse Light doesn't it?

In Canada and the USA here practically no one is using the old IPL systems anymore. I just thought it was common knowledge a real laser is better.
Old 14-07-2008, 04:01 PM

Yelp IPL stands for Intense Pulse Light. It is generally a lot simpler and cheaper system than lasers
Old 14-07-2008, 04:25 PM

Australia isn't that far behind the USA kwan.g.

Most doctors use a true laser.

I think the IPLs are unusually popular here down under only because day spas do a lot of "permanent hair removal" and the beauty therapists and dermal therapists here use an IPL rather than a laser because of the safety factor.
Old 14-07-2008, 04:27 PM

And the cost factor mealia! I think day spas use IPLs because they are a lot cheaper.

The doctors are used to expensive equypiment they just have to swap the lease on their v8 Mercedes for a laser. A beauty therapist would have to the house and their parents house to get a laser.
Old 14-07-2008, 04:29 PM

In all my time following this thread I've never seen anyone comment on how much a hair removal laser actually is. Does anyone have a cost? I'm doing my tax return now so I'm all geared up to do cost to benefit ratios and what not. Wanna try and work out how much profit my doctor made off my 6 sessions