www.cosmeticmedicineforum.com  

Go Back   Cosmetic Medicine Forum | Botox Forum, Laser Forum, Juvederm Forum > Non-Invasive Cosmetic Medical Procredures > Botox Forum
User Name
Password

Old 29-05-2007, 10:30 PM

Default Botox stops Face Sweating?

I think I've found yet another use for botox. I love the stuff. I just need unlimited money .

But has anyone had botox to treat the bad sweating they get on their face? I've just come across it while researching hyperhidrosis. I don't have a problem with sweating of my palms or underarms but I would be very very interested in treating the sweating I get over my face in summer. There's nothing worse than walking from the tram to work and ending up with your makeup all ruined.

There's nothing on Kiora's main site about treating facial sweating and I'm having a lot of trouble finding people who actually offer this. I was wondering if anyone on the forum has had it done?
Old 29-05-2007, 11:31 PM

I don't know about this one Mighty Mouth.

I've had a lot of botox done on multiple occassions to my face and I've never noticed any difference to the sweating of my face. Where'ld you read this about botox treating facial sweating?
Old 30-05-2007, 08:39 PM

I've had botox to the face at least 3 times now.

I noticed a slight decline in sweating of the face over summer but nothing really to write home about.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Default Hyperhidrosis treatment with Botox

In people with hyperhidrosis, the sympathetic nerves that supply the sweat glands have an "inappropriate response to stress". What it means is that it's normal for the nerves to say "sweat now!" when you are sitting in a sauna or walking throught the desert. But, when the nerves just don't know when to stop you get into problems.

Botox works by blocking the release of acetylcholine from the sympathetic nerves. It works like a charm every time for underarms - 90% of sweat reduction can be reasonably expected when the recommended dosage is given. For other areas such as hands, feet, scalp and face it's more difficult but still possible to achieve some level of control. Probably because these area have a denser nerve supply, the "optimal dosage" is difficult to predict for each individual. To avoid wastage I usually start with a low dose and review the patient every 2 weeks to slowly titrate the dose up. There are also functional considerations. For example, saturating the hands with Botox might turn off the sweating, but could overly weaken the small muscles of the hands (bad news if the patient operates heavy machinery or is a concert violinist). We also can't afford to "freeze" the face by giving too much botox. Luckily often people who complain of facial sweating actually has scalp sweating - I've found that most patients with facial hyperhidrosis are extremely happy when I treat the scalp and parts of their forehead.

So, to answer your question, facial sweating is a complex problem to treat, but certainly it is possible to make big improvements when you work patiently and cautiously with a doctor. All the best!

Dr. Grace
Clinical Director
Kiora Medical Spas
T 1300 55 98 96
www.kiora.com.au
Old 01-06-2007, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by botox_queen
I don't know about this one Mighty Mouth.

I've had a lot of botox done on multiple occassions to my face and I've never noticed any difference to the sweating of my face. Where'ld you read this about botox treating facial sweating?

Hi botox_queen. I think you stole dr.grace's preferred nickname!

The botox you get for the face to stop wrinkles will not stop facial sweating.

Most of the sweat that covers your face actually originates from your scalp just near the hairline, rather than the face.

To stop excessive facial sweating botox is injected into the scalp not the face. Its a bit counter-intuitive.

As you have noted people who get botox injected into the face rarely if ever notice any change in the sweating of their face.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:51 PM

so does it actually work well for facial sweating? What would you say the success rate is for sweat reduction of the face?
Old 02-06-2007, 01:00 AM

Apparently it works really well. Its all the rage here.

Botox to stop facial sweating is advertised as keeping you looking composed, no ruining of makeup and feeling confident. The ads are eveywhere and the buzz from some of my friends is considerable.

I am intending to try it soon myself
Old 02-06-2007, 11:18 AM

I wouldn't say my sweating is excessive but it would be very nice if I didn't sweat all over my face.

Its very bad in summer.

Would it be suitable for someone who only wants to reduce the sweating and doesn't really have an excessive problem?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 PM

I'ld like to know this answer to this too. My face sweating isn't pathological but I would dearly love to be able to stop sweating anywhere near my face. its more irritating than an illness.

At the moment its not a problem but come summer I'll be very keen to know about possible treatments.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:20 AM

I got this done last summer.

Its fantastic. I'ld recommend it to anyone. Every summer even with some of the advanced mineral makeups I'ld sweat so much from the face it would drip down and soak my blouse. It got to the stage where I would only wear dark clothes.

They used a couple of injections, about 10-20, around the scalp. 5 days later there was no sweat dripping down into my face. And I've got a 15 minute walk from the train uphill!

Its great. I'm a Melbourne girl and if anyone is interested I can PM them the doctor who did it for me.