www.cosmeticmedicineforum.com  

Go Back   Cosmetic Medicine Forum | Botox Forum, Laser Forum, Juvederm Forum > Non-Invasive Cosmetic Medical Procredures > Juvederm, Restylane & Dermal Fillers Forum
User Name
Password

Old 23-11-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Radiesse & Aquamid dermal fillers

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a couple of questions.
About 9 months ago I had Restylane injections in my lips, nasolabial folds and marionette lines. It was painful, but the results fab. I was told that there are more permanent fillers around, one called Aquamid and the other is Radiesse. Seems there can be problems with Aquamid, but it lasts for some years. I can't find much info on the Radiesse, but it sounds OK lasting up to 2 years. I want something that is semi permanent because even with a ton of local ( as the doc said enough to numb a horse) I still felt every needle 'ouch'! I amone of those people who have had the experience of waking under general anaesthetic, years ago. Since then I seem to have this high tolerance to any sort of anaesthetic

So if I could have something that lasts longer than Restylane I would be very relieved. I am a bit nervous about the aquamid ( love the up to 5 years period though) and thought that maybe it might be best to go for the Radiesse,, if it lasts 18 mths to 2 years. It would save me some pain

Has anyone tried the Radiess and or Aquamid?

I am in Melbourne does anyone have any recommendations as far as docs are concerned for these products.
Thanks
Old 25-11-2008, 01:13 PM

I thought aquamid was a permanent filler? My understanding of it was not many people (read nobody) injects permanent fillers anymore.

I looked into radiesse it looks ok but it shouldn't ever be used for the lips should it?
Old 25-11-2008, 02:10 PM

Default Nerve blocks

Did you really feel that much pain with the nerve block? I honestly think getting my fillers under nerve block is THE most comfortable thing I can get.

Far more comfortable than just normal botox.

My doctor uses a numbing bubble gum to numb the gum first, then puts in the oral block.

After that you don't feel any sharpness of pain at all around the lips.

Are you sure your doctor does a good nerve block? I've been to at least one doctor and 2 dentists who were just hopeless at numbing the area.

Also I agree with 'mealia. Radiesse should never be used for the lips but I quite liked it for my cheeks. Dunno if it was worth the cost though. It cost twice as much but only lasted about 50% longer.
Old 25-11-2008, 10:42 PM

Are people still using Aquamid in australia?

I thought it had practically been banned. Why would you want to use a permanent filler in someone who doesn't have AIDS?
Old 26-11-2008, 10:24 PM
Banned

Default Aquamid

Aquamid is classified as "pemanent filler" because it lasts more than three years. Any fillers that last more than three years are classified as such. No, it is not banned in Australia, but not many Dr's are using it. In my belief Dr's who are not using it do so because they are not confident of outcome, their ability, so use only temporary fillers. If patient is unhappy, they'll say, "Oh, well, it will go in a flash.". I have Aquamid in my face and lips, since Jan 2005 no problems, still there like first day. For this, I actually had a nurse doing it, only because she has a good reputation, she was recommended. Botox I have a Dr administer it, simply because he is excellent.
Susan
Old 02-12-2008, 08:15 AM

hehehe still posting. Sorry if it looks like I'm picking on you Sus!

Isn't it a bit inconsistent getting your botox - temporary, very safe - done by a doctor but you get the "permanent" filler - if it goes wrong you are stucky with it - done by a nurse?

If I had found a very excellent doctor I would be going her for everything. Especially the ones that can potentially go wrong - permanently!
Old 02-12-2008, 11:51 PM
Banned

Default Aquamid and Botox

Are you alright Goonie? Why shouldn't i be still posting, when I have something to say? Having treatments has nothing to do with consistency, just who is better, experienced, recommended. For your information, nurse injects fillers all day, every day, Dr does mainly Botox, (the very best) as well as his GP practice. They know of each other, but do not know each other. Both knows I've seen the other. Anymore you want to know?
By the way, if you really have nothing else to do, you can pick on me, couldn't care less. I would read a good book.
Old 03-12-2008, 04:18 AM

Default I smell a rat!

Maybe you should read a good book Sus. Or go about breaking forum rules again after months of membership by publically posting your doctors name.

Firstly I apologise about the gramatical errors in my last post in this thread.

Secondly, I maintain my position. Permanent fillers should certainly only be done by very experienced ******** injectors (nurse or doctor). Where I live on the other side of the Pacific to you only doctors can inject by law. But I've read the australian posts here on the topic and concede the experience of the injector is very important. It still looks like the nurses are skirting on the side of the law since they have to be "supervised" by a doctor no?

If you have found an injector who is so good, you have such great faith in, you are willing to risk [B]permanent[/B] side effects why then go to someone else for the botox.

Especially since the first person, the "experienced injector" of aquamid, is a nurse and presumably a lot cheaper than the doctor doing botox.

A totally inconsistent position and I smell a rat.

Over to you Sus .....
Old 09-12-2008, 02:51 PM

[QUOTE='mealia;9834]I thought aquamid was a permanent filler? My understanding of it was not many people (read nobody) injects permanent fillers anymore.

I looked into radiesse it looks ok but it shouldn't ever be used for the lips should it?[/QUOTE]

Quite a few very highly thought of cosmetic surgeons use Aquamid here in Aussie. Mind you they do give written 'warnings' and you have to sign to say you understand the risks. AM is quite popular.
Old 09-12-2008, 02:57 PM

[QUOTE=Golden Pigeon;9837]Did you really feel that much pain with the nerve block? I honestly think getting my fillers under nerve block is THE most comfortable thing I can get.

Far more comfortable than just normal botox.

My doctor uses a numbing bubble gum to numb the gum first, then puts in the oral block.

After that you don't feel any sharpness of pain at all around the lips.

Are you sure your doctor does a good nerve block? I've been to at least one doctor and 2 dentists who were just hopeless at numbing the area.

Also I agree with 'mealia. Radiesse should never be used for the lips but I quite liked it for my cheeks. Dunno if it was worth the cost though. It cost twice as much but only lasted about 50% longer.[/QUOTE]

Yes the pain even with double the amount of nerve block was intense. Like I said I have a high tolerance for anaesthetics. With the dentist I don't even bother, as it is a waste of time.

Seems few Drs are using Radiesse, and I can't have Aquamid until beginning of March, as Drs won't do it until all Restylane has gone.